" And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again."
Alma 5:49

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Update from the New Area

Life is going well. It`s most definitely a lot colder here than it was in the coast. (I`m finally putting the sweaters to good use :). We have an electric shower head that is supposed to heat up the water, but it`s broken. But that`s ok, our bathroom "window" is a hole in the wall, which makes showering at 7am all the more fun :)  (Did I mention that I`ve started to use the sweaters). 

Other than the fact that showering isn`t very fun, the house is really nice (for Ecuadorian standards... won`t quite make it into the Challenger lineup :). The walls are cinder-blocks that have been coated in cement and then painted. We have an avocado tree in our front "yard". Maybe they`ll be ripe by the time that I leave. 

Our sector is at the base of a volcano. To walk to the top of the sector it takes about an hour (did a mention that it`s all up hill). We go there about everyday. It was cloudy today, but I`ll try to send a picture of the volcano next week. It rains a little more often here, but it isn`t too bad. I have my umbrella and my shoes are doing great.

My companion is from Peru. He has two more changes left in his mission. He has a really great knowledge of the scriptures and is very good at using them to respond to the concerns of the people. I`m excited to be able to learn from him and his strengths. 

The food here isn`t too bad. Yes, it`s lots of rice and potatoes, but I`ve gotten used to it. Haven`t eaten anything too wierd yet (still waiting for the cow-foot soup). So far the worst has been heart. It was ok. (The members gave it to us at like 8:30 at night. I ate my in like 10 minutes. My companion stalled for a little while and then used the excuse of "we have to be back at the house on time" to get out of eating his.) Oh, and yes they do eat guinea pig here. It is supposed to be somewhat of a delicacy. Next week I`ll try sending a picture of some live ones for Katelyn, and maybe a cooked one for dad.

Here are pics fo the food. Heart, and then a fried corn thing called tostado. It`s really good, and the people here eat it with almost every meal.




The work here is going along well. The people here are a little less open than the people in the coast, so it is hard to find new investigators, but those that we do find progress more easily. Right now that are several converts here in the ward, including a family that was baptized just a few months ago. The dad was telling us about how before he started talking with the missionaries he and his brother would go and get in alot of fights. He said that one time is was almost killed during one of the encounters. He then said how much of a change the Gospel has made in his life and the life of his family. Hearing about their conversion makes me want to find and help convert "my own" family. There are a few investigators that have potential here, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to help them be able to progress towards baptism, and more importantly, toward the temple.

I love you all and I hope that you have a great week. 

Love,
Elder Bahr

No comments:

Post a Comment