" And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again."
Alma 5:49

Thursday, September 18, 2014

So, I'm not in the US anymore


The above picture is of Quito.  I was there for a few days as I entered Ecuador.

Now, I`m in the coast in a city called Esmereldas. It`s really hot here, I`m sweating like crazy. I hear that stops after the first few days once your body adjusts. Right now I`m just trying to drink a ton of fluids. 

My "padre misional" (trainer) is Elder Mazzerelli. He is from Chile and he is an awesome trainer. I`m really enjoying being here with him, I`ve already learned alot and I know that he can help me become a truly powerful missionary if I choose to listen to him. He speaks a little English, but less than I do Spanish.

The food here is really good, lots of fish, rice, and soup. I like it alot. The weirdest thing I`ve eaten so far is chicken-foot soup... it was pretty intersesting, but I enjoyed it. 

We live in a third stroy apartement that is one of the nicest homes I`ve seen while I`ve been here. Other than the church and super market, I don`t know if I could name a nicer place to live.  Scary thing is, it still doesn`t compare to anything in the US. We found a little lizard today that was living behind our trash can, that suprised me a little.



There are dogs and cats everywhere here. Katelyn, my little sister, would love it (except we are supposed to get near them in case they are rabid). 

My Spanish is alright. The people understand when I speak, and for the most part, I can say what I want. The only problem is I have very little idea what they are saying. We will be in lessons, and my companion will speak 90% of the time because I dont know how to answer the questions that I haven`t understood in the first place. 

I love the people here, they are really receptive. Almost everyone that we talk to is willing to let us come and speak with them. The only problem is they have a really hard time to keep commitments. 

Yesterday we were walking down the street contacting, and we decided to talk a family that was in their casa. (It turned out that we mostly taught three "hermanas" who are friends and one of their sons. Despite the fact that I have limited Spanish, I felt the Spirit during the lesson. I was actually able to participate more than I had in any other lesson, I felt the Spirit alot during the lesson, and I know the Lord can help me teach those He has prepared.

I am so grateful for the Atonement. I know that this work is not going to be easy (that`s why they call it work). Yet, I also know that there is nothing greater that I can be doing with my life. Even though this is the hardest thing I`ve done in my life, I know that the Lord will give me the strength. I love the scripture Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". These two years will be the hardest of my life, yet I also know they will be the Best Two Years for my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment